Submission Formatting Guidelines for Authors
Checklist for the Manuscript Submission
Adapted from: American Psychological Association. Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Sixth Edition (pp. 241-243).
- Have you checked the journal’s website for instructions to authors regarding specific formatting requirements for submission?
- Is the entire manuscript—including quotations, references, author note, content footnotes, and figure captions—double-spaced?
- Is the manuscript neatly prepared?
- Are the title page, abstract, references, appendices, author note, content footnotes, tables, and figures on separate pages (with only one table or figure per page)?
- Are the figure captions on the same page as the figures?
- Are manuscript elements ordered in sequence, with the text pages between the abstract and the references?
Title Page and Abstract
- Is the title no more than 12 words?
- Does the abstract range between 150 and 250 words?
Paragraphs and Headings
- Is each paragraph longer than a single sentence but not longer than one manuscript page?
- Do the levels of headings accurately reflect the organization of the paper?
- Do all headings of the same level appear in the same format?
- Are unnecessary abbreviations eliminated and necessary ones explained?
- Are abbreviations in tables and figures explained in the table notes and figure captions or legends?
Mathematics and Statistics
- Are Greek letters and all but the most common mathematical symbols identified in the manuscript?
- Are all non-Greek letters that are used as statistical symbols for algebraic variables in italics?
Units of Measurement
- Are metric equivalents for all nonmetric units provided (except measurements of time, which have no metric equivalents?
- Are all metric and nonmetric units with numeric values (except some measurements of time) abbreviated?
- Are references cited both in text and in the reference list?
- Do the text citations and reference list entries agree both in spelling and in date?
- Are journal titles in the reference list spelled out fully?
- Are the references (both in the parenthetical text citations and in the reference list) ordered alphabetically by the authors’ surnames?
- Are inclusive page numbers for all articles or chapters in books provided in the reference list?
- Are references to studies included in your meta-analysis preceded by an asterisk?
Notes and Footnotes
- Is the departmental affiliation given for each author in the author note?
- Does the author note include both the author’s current affiliation if it is different from the byline affiliation and a current address for correspondence?
- Does the author note disclose special circumstances about the article (portions presented at a meeting, student paper as basis for the article, report of a longitudinal study, relationship that may be perceived as a conflict of interest?
- In the text, are all footnotes indicated, and are footnote numbers correctly located?
Tables and Figures
- Does every table column, including the stub column, have a heading?
- Have all vertical table rules been omitted?
- Are all tables referred to in text?
- Are the elements in the figures large enough to remain legible after the figure has been reduced to the width of a journal column or page?
- Is lettering in a figure no smaller than 8 points and no larger than 14 points?
- Are the figures being submitted in a file format acceptable to the publisher?
- Has the figure been prepared at a resolution sufficient to produce a high-quality image?
- Are all figures numbered consecutively with Arabic numerals?
- Are all figures and tables mentioned in the text and numbered in the order in which they are mentioned?
Copyright and Quotations
- Is written permission to use previously published text, tests or portions of tests, tables, or figures enclosed with the manuscript?
- Are page or paragraph numbers provided in text for all quotations?
Submitting the Manuscript
- Is the manuscript blinded for peer review? (Author information removed from metadata)