Information For Authors
Interested in submitting to this journal? We recommend that you review the About the Journal page for the journal's section policies, as well as the Author Guidelines below. The Author Guidelines are also available as a PDF here. Authors must provide a signed Faculty Nomination Form when submitting to the journal. Authors need to register with the journal prior to submitting or, if already registered, can simply log in and begin the five-step process.
Work may be submitted under four categories:
- RESEARCH – effective presentation of research findings
- ANALYTICAL – effective interpretation and/or critique of text;
- CREATIVE WORKS – creative writing, video or audio format, projects.
- RESEARCH-CREATION – effective presentation of findings in multimedia formats or including creative elements
When filling out your part of the Faculty Nomination Form, please indicate which category best suits the project you are submitting for publication.
Any currently registered University of Calgary student enrolled in a Communications, Media, or Film Studies course may submit their work. Coursework from current academic year, or the year prior is acceptable. Students are responsible for insuring their own eligibility. The submission of the work to the journal is a responsibility of the student. It must be accompanied by the completed Faculty Nomination Form signed by a faculty member. If you are uncertain, or have any other questions, please contact the Managing Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The content of submissions must be stripped of personal data and anonymized. This includes removing the course title, instructor, author information, and any names in the acknowledgements of the work.
- The file for your submission should be titled Last Name, First Name Title of Work.
- Limit of 20 pages or 3 gigabytes for submissions, submissions exceeding 1.5MB must be sent through email to email@example.com. Please make the subject of the email “Multimedia submission”
- All text submissions must be a singular Microsoft Word document in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, 1-inch margins, and 1.5 pt. line spacing.
- Include an abstract (250-500 words) on the first page
- Multimedia submissions can be uploaded as audio, video, PowerPoint, or text files.
- Multimedia submissions must be accompanied by an abstract (250-500) words, attached as a separate file
- If your multimedia submission exists on a third party website (Wix.com, Prezi.com, etc.,) please include a link to the website at the top of your abstract.
- Maximum 2 submissions per person per academic year
- Research submissions must be accompanied by any required research ethics and approval forms
- Students are welcome to submit work from the current academic year or from the previous year. Graduated students are welcome to submit the previous year’s undergraduate work within a year of their graduation.
- Non-course work completed during the current or previous academic year is also eligible for submission but must still be accompanied by a Faculty Nomination Form
- Submitted coursework must have received a grade from the course instructor
- Polish and edit your paper for clarity. Double check that your citations are complete and accurate. Work must be submitted using APA citation style
- Submit nomination form and blind copy of work through The Motley Undergraduate Journal website. Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis and issues are published twice a year. Please remember that the student needs to provide a faculty nomination form.