Exploring the Personal and Professional Realities of Parenthood and Graduate Studies
This qualitative study using narrative inquiry as methodology explores the ways in which five parents experienced the phenomenon of graduate studies within the context of parenthood. The study uses Connelly and Clandinin’s (2006) three-dimensional narrative inquiry space to examine, deconstruct, analyze, and gain insight into dominant themes. The research question for exploration is How do graduate student parents navigate lived experiences in both parenthood and graduate studies? The inquiry broadens the field by focusing on the stories of participants as they reflect on their struggles balancing graduate work with parenthood, recognizing that although the experiences of parents are not identical, they share similar elements.
Keywords: graduate studies, parenthood, academia, narrative, recommendations
Cette étude qualitative utilise l'enquête narrative comme méthodologie et explore les façons dont cinq parents ont vécu le phénomène des études supérieures dans le contexte de la parentalité. L'étude utilise l'espace tridimensionnel d'enquête narrative de Connelly et Clandinin (2006) pour examiner, déconstruire, analyser et comprendre les thèmes dominants. La question de recherche à explorer est la suivante : comment les parents aux études supérieures composent-ils à la fois avec leurs expériences de parents et d’étudiants ? L'enquête élargit le champ d'investigation en se concentrant sur les récits des participants qui réfléchissent à leurs difficultés à concilier études supérieures et parentalité, en reconnaissant que si les expériences des parents ne sont pas identiques, elles partagent des éléments similaires.
Mots clés : études supérieures, parentalité, milieu universitaire, récit, recommandations
How to Cite
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.