A Policy Discourse Analysis of Academic Probation
In this policy discourse analysis study, I explored the discourse of academic-probation policies for undergraduate students in Dominican higher education institutions. Policies from twelve universities described strategies of power throughout. Academic-probation policies were characterized by their brevity and focus on disciplinary actions for students who did not meet the established academic standards. Key implications are related to issues of student marginalization in higher education institutions. Future policy revisions should address the punitive measures and the implications of being classified below “normal” and should refocus on institutional retention as a policy.
Keywords: Academic Probation, Higher Education, Policy
Dans cette étude portant sur l’analyse du discours en matière de politiques, je me penche sur le discours des politiques portant sur la probation académique des étudiants du premier cycle dans certains établissements d’études supérieures en République dominicaine. On retrouve, tout au long du texte des politiques des douze universités étudiées, des descriptions de stratégies de pouvoir. Les politiques portant sur la probation académique se caractérisaient par leur brièveté et leur accent sur les actions disciplinaires visant les étudiants qui n’atteignaient pas les normes académiques établies. Les implications principales touchent la marginalisation des étudiants inscrits dans des établissements d’études supérieures. À l’avenir, les révisions des politiques devraient aborder les mesures punitives et les implications d’être classés sous la norme pour se recentrer sur la rétention institutionnelle.
Mots clés : probation académique; études supérieures; politique
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.