Emotional Intelligence Among School Teachers in Oman
This paper sheds light into the role of emotional intelligence in school teaching. It reports the findings of a study that sought to investigate the emotional intelligence of 4,098 school teachers in the Sultanate of Oman in five dimensions using the Schutte Emotional Intelligence Scale (SEIS). The study also measured the relationship between teachers’ emotional intelligence and a number of demographic teacher and school variables. The results showed that teachers’ emotional intelligence was high in all five dimensions. There were variations in teachers’ emotional intelligence based on certain teacher and school variables.
Key words: job satisfaction, Sultanate of Oman, teachers’ emotional intelligence.
Cet article fait la lumière sur le rôle de l’intelligence émotionnelle dans l’enseignement. L’article fait rapport des résultats d’une étude ayant porté sur l’intelligence émotionnelle, selon cinq dimensions, de 4 098 enseignants dans le Sultanat d’Oman en employant l’échelle de Schutte sur l’intelligence émotionnelle. L’étude a également mesuré le rapport entre l’intelligence émotionnelle des enseignants et un certain nombre de variables démographiques liées aux enseignants et aux écoles. Les résultats indiquent que l’intelligence émotionnelle des enseignants étaient élevée pour toutes les dimensions. Des variations dans l’intelligence émotionnelle des enseignants se sont révélées selon les variables liées aux enseignants et aux écoles.
Mots clés : satisfaction professionnelle; Sultanat d’Oman; intelligence émotionnelle chez les enseignants
Saleh Al-Busaidi1, Said Aldhafri12, Marwa Alrajhi1, Hussain Alkharusi1,, Bader Alkharusi3,, Abdullah Ambusaidi1, Khoula Alhosni3
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.