Conceptualizing a Personalized Identity-Focused Approach to Teacher Professional Development: Postulating the Realization of Reform
Identity structure analysis (ISA) reveals core and conflicted identity constructs, long-term aspirant goals for behaviours, behaviours one wishes to avoid, potential for behaviour change when moving from one life domain to another, and people that are the subject of identity conflicts. In this work, ISA is applied to a teacher’s identity to form a framework to guide professional development. A rationale for use of the ISA framework is developed that connects it to calls for reform in professional development.
Keywords: teacher identity; identity structure analysis; professional development; mentoring; teacher education
L’analyse de structure identitaire (ASI) révèle des constructions identitaires fondamentales et divergentes; des objectifs à long-terme relatifs au comportement; des comportements que l’individu désire éviter; le potentiel pour un changement comportemental lors du mouvement d’une sphère de la vie à une autre; et des gens qui vivent des conflits identitaires. Cet article porte sur l’application de l’ASI à l’identité d’un enseignant de sorte à fournir un cadre pour guider le développement professionnel. Nous développons un motif pour l’utilisation du cadre d’ASI qui le lie aux demandes pour des réformes dans le domaine du développement professionnel.
Mots clés: identité d’enseignant; analyse de structure identitaire; développement professionnel; mentorat; formation des enseignants
How to Cite
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.