Reflective Thinking among Teachers: Development and Preliminary Validation of Reflective Thinking for Teachers Questionnaire
This article describes the development and validation of the 32-item Reflective Thinking for Teachers Questionnaire (RTTQ) designed to assess the process of reflective thinking among teachers. The process of instrument development and validation is described, along with a review of relevant literature related to the process of reflective thinking. An exploratory factor analysis and a subsequent confirmatory factor analysis of the responses of a large sample (N = 659) was carried out. The results of the study showed that the structural equation model developed fitted the questionnaire data well. The confirmatory factor analysis produced goodness of fit indices within an acceptable range, and the questionnaire appeared to be a reliable instrument that would assist in the assessment and improvement of the quality of reflective thinking among teachers.
Cet article décrit le développement et la validation du questionnaire à 32 questions portant sur l’évaluation des compétences de la pensée critique chez les enseignants (Reflective Thinking for Teachers Questionnaire). Nous décrivons le processus d’élaboration et de validation du questionnaire, et présentons un examen de la littérature sur la pensée réflexive. Les réponses d’un échantillon de taille importante (N = 659) ont été soumises à une analyse factorielle exploratoire suivie d’une analyse factorielle confirmatoire. Les résultats indiquent que le modèle d’équation structurelle élaboré s’ajuste bien aux données du questionnaire. L’analyse factorielle confirmatoire a produit des valeurs élevées pour la qualité d’ajustement se situant dans une fourchette acceptable, et le questionnaire semble avoir été un outil fiable pour appuyer l’évaluation et l’amélioration de la qualité de la pensée réflexive chez les enseignants.
Mots clés : pensée réflexive; formation des enseignants; validation d’instruments; élaboration d’instruments; pensée critique
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.