Adult Education in the Post-Secondary Context: Sustainability in the 21st Century
Keywords:Post-secondary education, interdisciplinarity, community-engagement, sustainability education, Regional Centres of Expertise (RCEs)
The role of adult education is considered within the post-secondary context. In this paper, sustainability education, and particularly, the recent emergence globally of the United Nations University’s Regional Centres of Expertise (RCEs) provides an example of how adult education may continue to serve in the 21st century, an era that has already proven itself in peril with issues of social and environmental justice – spanning wide ranging challenges of gender, race, and ecology.
Le rôle de l’éducation des adultes est étudié dans le contexte postsecondaire. Dans cet article, l’éducation au développement durable et notamment l’émergence récente sur l’échelle mondiale des Centres régionaux d’expertise de l’Université des Nations Unies, offre un exemple de la mesure dans laquelle l’éducation des adultes peut continuer à être utile au 21e siècle, époque qui s’est déjà avérée aux prises avec des problèmes de justice sociale et environnementale qui couvrent un vaste éventail de défis liés au genre, à la race et à l’écologie.
Mots clés : éducation postsecondaire, interdisciplinarité, implication communautaire, éducation au développement durable, Centres régionaux d’expertise
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.