An Inuit Based Policy Development Process
Keywords:Policy Decision Making
This paper explores the use of Inuit Quajimajatuqangit (IQ) and the policy formation process of the rational decision making model. Based on the current research of Inuit Canadians concerning parental involvement within northern schools, this paper examines how an Indigenous way of knowing can be infused with a non-Indigenous method of policy development. The majority of this paper reviews past policy that has been placed upon Inuit Canadians as the framework for understanding how Inuit arrived at the current educational situation. The author introduces how Inuit have taken up this situation, and are working in present day with a positive perspective.
Keywords: Inuit Quajimajatuqangit (IQ), Pijitsirniq, Aajiiqatigiingniq, Pilirqatigiingniq.
Inuit Quajimajatuqangit (IQ) is Inuit knowledge and societal values through which Inuit function. Pijitsirniq is the concept of serving. Aajiiqatigiingniq is consensus in decision making. Pilirqatigiingniq is working together for a common purpose.
Cet article explore l’emploi de l’Inuit Quajimajatuqangit et le processus d’élaboration des politiques du modèle de prise de décision rationnelle. Reposant sur la recherche actuelle par des Inuits canadiens sur l’implication des parents dans les écoles du Nord, cet article examine la mesure dans laquelle un mode autochtone de connaissance peut être empreint d’une méthode non autochtone d’élaboration des politiques. La majorité de l’article passe en revue les anciennes politiques imposées aux Inuits Canadiens; ce passé sert de cadre pour comprendre comment les Inuits en sont arrivés à la situation actuelle en matière d’éducation. L’auteure explique que les Inuits ont assumé cette situation et qu’ils y travaillent actuellement avec optimisme.
Mots clés : l’Inuit Quajimajatuqangit (IQ), Pijitsirniq, Aajiiqatigiingniq, Pilirqatigiingniq.
L’Inuit Quajimajatuqangit (IQ), ce sont les connaissances et les valeurs sociales avec lesquelles fonctionnent les Inuits. Pijitsirniq, c’est le concept du service. Aajiiqatigiingniq désigne le consensus dans la prise de décision. Pilirqatigiingniq, c’est travailler ensemble en vue d’atteindre un objectif commun.
How to Cite
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.