The Preliminary and Subsequent Stages to Integrating Pedagogical Innovation: The Crux of the Matter for the Innovator
Keywords:Pedagogical innovation, process, conditions, decision making
Within the extremely competitive environment of higher education, professors make a conscious decision to engage in pedagogical innovation projects. Through this qualitative research, I revisit the experience of thirty-two innovators who gravitate between risks and uncertainty, particularly as they teach at a university where research prevails over teaching. The results provide us with in-depth insight into the specific conditions and processes of pedagogical innovation, shedding light on the optional stages and delineating those that appear to be fundamental to the innovation process.
Dans le contexte extrêmement compétitif de l’enseignement supérieur, les professeurs choisissent consciemment d’entreprendre des projets d’ innovation pédagogique. Cette recherche qualitative porte sur les expériences de 32 innovateurs qui gravitent entre risques et incertitudes, notamment lorsqu’ils enseignent dans une université où la recherche prévaut sur l’enseignement. Les résultats permettent d’appréhender en profondeur les conditions et démarches spécifiques de l’innovation pédagogique en distinguant les étapes optionnelles de celles qui semblent fondamentales dans le processus l’innovation.
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.