Assessing the Effects of Collaborative Professional Learning: Efficacy Shifts in a Three-Year Mathematics Study
Keywords:Teacher Efficacy, Professional Development, Mathematics, Collaborative Inquiry
AbstractResearchers examine the outcomes of professional collaborative inquiry in mathematics on teacher efficacy in a three-year study of teacher professional learning in Canada. The study applies a mixed methods approach involving over 200 teachers and 1000 students as well as case study sites in English and French. The collaborative inquiry-based professional learning program (called CIL-M) focuses on teacher collaboration, mathematics knowledge for teaching, and student mathematical thinking. The program, which was refined annually based on research report recommendations, was found to increase teacher efficacy, student achievement and positive student beliefs.
Les chercheurs ont étudié les résultats d’une enquête collaborative professionnelle en mathématiques portant sur l’efficacité des enseignants et l’apprentissage professionnel du personnel enseignant au Canada. La recherche s’est déroulée sur trois ans, a reposé sur une approche de méthodes mixtes, et a impliqué plus de 200 enseignants, 1 000 étudiants et des sites d’études de cas en anglais et en français. Le programme d’apprentissage professionnel par investigation vise la collaboration entre enseignants, les connaissances de l’enseignement des mathématiques et le raisonnement mathématique chez les élèves. Ce programme a été affiné à chaque année en fonction des recommandations découlant du rapport de recherche. On a trouvé qu’il augmentait l’efficacité des enseignants et améliorait les croyances et le rendement des élèves.
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.