Connection, Engagement, and Belonging: Exploring Young Women’s Positive Experiences for Building Inclusive STEM Classrooms
This qualitative study was designed from an appreciative and positive research focus to examine how and why young women engage in, succeed, and persevere in STEM courses. The objective was to gain student perspectives on improving gender equality in STEM education. From the questionnaire and focus groups with participating women university students enrolled in STEM courses three themes emerged (a) Relational Connection with teachers and/or students, (b) Engagement with STEM Curriculum that reflected influential pedagogical learning cultures, and (c) Cultures of Belonging and inclusion. This research offers insight into positive factors for women’s success in STEM academics and careers.
Keywords: Female students in STEM; STEM Education; STEM Engagement; Inclusivity; Gender Bias
Cette étude qualitative a été conçue dans une optique de recherche appréciative et positive afin d'examiner comment et pourquoi les jeunes femmes s'engagent, réussissent et persévèrent dans les cours de science, technologie, ingénierie et mathématiques (STIM). L'objectif était d'obtenir le point de vue des étudiantes sur l'amélioration de l'égalité des sexes dans l'enseignement des STIM. Le questionnaire et les groupes de discussion auxquels ont participé des étudiantes universitaires inscrites à des cours de STIM ont permis de dégager trois thèmes : (a) le lien relationnel avec les enseignants et/ou les étudiants, (b) l'engagement dans le programme de STIM qui reflète des cultures d'apprentissage pédagogiques influentes, et (c) les cultures d'appartenance et d'inclusion. Cette recherche offre un aperçu des facteurs positifs pour la réussite des femmes dans les études et les carrières en STIM.
Mots clés : étudiantes dans les STIM ; éducation aux STIM ; engagement dans les STIM ; inclusion ; préjugés sexistes
How to Cite
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.