Research-Practice Partnerships in Education: Benefits for Researchers and Practitioners
The purpose of this research was to study how researchers and practitioners from universities and school authorities in Alberta, Canada, lead eleven research partnership projects, shared work and learning responsibilities, as well as understood their common challenges. Project leaders (N = 38) revealed their perceptions of the research partnership through an online survey and semi-structured interviews. Practitioners indicated advantages to partnering such as access to research expertise and data analysis tools in addition to deepening their research skills for educational decision making. Researchers outlined three benefits to the partnership: having access to research sites, learning more about current issues in schools, and developing relationships with practitioners. The researchers explained that these relationships would facilitate their ability to complete future research and conduct knowledge mobilization activities that would reach professional and academic audiences. Both researchers and participants identified challenges, such as time, communications, reporting requirements, and unforeseen circumstances while engaging in these research partnerships.
Key words: University-school partnerships; educational partnerships; researcher-practitioner partnership; knowledge mobilization; case study
L'objectif de cette recherche était d'étudier comment les chercheurs et les praticiens des universités et des autorités scolaires de l'Alberta, au Canada, ont dirigé onze projets de partenariat de recherche, partagé les responsabilités de travail et d'apprentissage, et perçu leurs défis communs. Les chefs de projet (N = 38) ont révélé leurs perceptions du partenariat de recherche par le biais d'un sondage en ligne et d'entrevues semi-structurées. Les praticiens ont indiqué les avantages du partenariat, tels que l'accès à l'expertise en recherche et aux outils d'analyse des données, en plus de l'approfondissement de leurs compétences en recherche pour la prise de décision en matière d'éducation. Les chercheurs ont souligné trois avantages du partenariat : avoir accès à des sites de recherche, en apprendre davantage sur les problèmes actuels dans les écoles et développer des relations avec les praticiens. Les chercheurs ont expliqué que ces relations faciliteraient leur capacité à réaliser des recherches futures et à mener des activités de mobilisation des connaissances qui toucheraient des publics professionnels et universitaires. Les chercheurs et les participants ont identifié des défis, tels que le temps, les communications, les exigences en matière de rapports et les circonstances imprévues, dans le cadre de ces partenariats de recherche.
Mots clés : partenariats université-école; partenariats éducatifs; partenariat chercheur-praticien; mobilisation des connaissances; étude de cas.
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.