Matters of Care in Alberta’s “Inspiring Education” Policy: A Critical Feminist Discourse Analysis
Using the ethics of care as a theoretical lens, alongside the techniques of discourse analysis, I critically analyze texts from Alberta’s Inspiring Education policies. On the basis of this analysis, I identify two discourses: the sentimental treatment of care and the “facilitator discourse.” I argue that a caring teacher-student relationship is more complex than a doting teacher responding to the desires of a “learner.” We must begin to reflect in educational policies the reciprocity of caring educational relationships, the rightness of mutually accepted authority, and the skills required to competently perform the work of caring.
Adoptant la perspective théorique de l’éthique des soins et m’appuyant sur les techniques de l’analyse du discours, je fais une analyse critique de textes tirés des politiques albertaines sur l’inspiration et l’éducation. À partir de l’analyse, j’identifie deux discours : la perspective sentimentale des soins et le discours « facilitateur ». Je maintiens qu’un rapport chaleureux entre un enseignant et un élève est plus complexe que les actions d’un enseignant adorant qui répond aux désirs d’un « apprenant ». Nos politiques en matière d’éducation doivent commencer à refléter la réciprocité des rapports éducatifs chaleureux, la justesse d’une autorité mutuellement acceptée et les habiletés nécessaires pour bien accomplir le travail en soins dans un milieu scolaire.
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.