Academic Achievement in Effective Schools
Keywords:student achievement, school effectiveness, teaching effectiveness, urban school, rural school
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to identify predictors of achievement in mathematics in elementary schools in New Brunswick (Canada). Data Collection: Both teachers and school leaders (N = 111) completed a questionnaire on their practices and on school functioning. Findings: Multiple regression analyses revealed that the students’ achievement in mathematics was determined by prior achievement, urban school attendance, and teaching quality. Implications: To counter the socioeconomic constraints on achievement in mathematics, taking a closer look at teaching quality represents a promising research area. The implications of this study on education policies and research are discussed.
L’objectif de cette étude était d’identifier les indicateurs de la réussite en mathématiques dans les écoles primaires du Nouveau-Brunswick (Canada). La cueillette de données s’est réalisée par un questionnaire administré aux enseignants et aux directions d’école (N=111) portant sur les pratiques d’enseignement et le fonctionnement de l’école. Des analyses de régression multiple ont révélé que le rendement des élèves en mathématiques était déterminé par les résultats antérieurs, la fréquentation d’écoles en milieu urbain et la qualité de l’enseignement. Comme stratégie pour contrebalancer les contraintes socioéconomiques qui agissent sur le rendement en mathématiques, la qualité de l’enseignement représente un domaine de recherche prometteur. Nous discutons des incidences de cette étude sur les politiques et la recherche en éducation.
How to Cite
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA COPYRIGHT LICENSE AND PUBLICATION AGREEMENT
If accepted, authors will be asked to sign a copyright agreement with the following points:
A. Where there is any inconsistency between this Copyright License and Publication Agreement and any other document or agreement in relation to the same subject matter, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
B. This document sets out the rights you are granting in relation to publication of your article, book review, or research note entitled (the “Article”) through inclusion in the academic journal titled Alberta Journal of Educational Research (the “Journal”) published through the Faculty of Education, representing the Governors of the University of Alberta (the “Journal Editor”).
C. There will be no payment to you for this publication and grant of rights. In consideration of the agreement to publish the Article in the Journal:
1. You are warranting that:
- the content of the Article is your original work, and its content does not contain any material infringing the copyright of others; or, where the Article is not entirely your original work, you have obtained all necessary permissions in writing to grant the rights you are giving in this agreement;
- the content of the Article does not contain any material that is defamatory of, or violates the privacy rights of, or discloses the confidential information of, any other person;
- the Article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part, and you will not allow publication of the Article elsewhere without the consent of the Journal Editor;
- the names of all co-authors and contributors to the Article are:
2. You agree to license the copyright in the Article to the Journal Editor, on a worldwide, perpetual, royalty free basis; and to the extent required by the terms of this agreement. You shall retain the right at all times to be acknowledged as the/an author of the Article.
3. You further agree that the Journal Editor has the entitlement to deal with the Article as the Journal Editor sees fit, and including in the following manner;
- The right to print, publish, market, communicate and distribute the Article and the Journal, in this and any subsequent editions, in all media (including electronic media), in all languages, and in all territories, ing the full term of copyright, and including any form of the Article separated from the Journal, such as in a database, abstract, offprint, translation or otherwise, and to authorize third parties to do so;
- The right to register copyright of the Journal;
- The right to edit the Article, to conform to editorial policy as the Journal Editor sees fit.
4. If any co-author or contributor to the Article does not sign this agreement, the Journal Editor reserves the right to refuse to publish the Article.