Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, RTF, or WordPerfect document file format.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is double-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which are found below.
If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
Guidelines for Blinding Your Submission to ESJ
Dear submitter, please follow these steps in blinding your article for peer-review.
These guidelines are adopted by ESJ and developed by the open access journal system in Norway
1. Remove all identifying information from the Title.
2. Papers published by the Author(s) should be cited in the text as (Author, 2019)
3. Use the third person to refer to work the Authors have previously undertaken, e.g. replace any phrases like “as we have shown before” with “… has been shown before (Author, 2019)”.
4. Do not eliminate essential self-references or other references but limit self-references only to papers that are relevant for those reviewing the submitted paper.
5. For blinding in the reference list: (Author 2019) Details omitted for double-blind reviewing.
6. Footnotes (remove any identifying information)
7. Make sure figures and tables, including figure and table labels and captions, don't contain any affiliation related identifiers
8. Remove references to funding sources
9. Do not include acknowledgments
10. Remove any identifying information from file names
11. Ensure document properties are also anonymized.
Ensuring document properties are anonymized
With Microsoft Office documents, author identification should also be removed from the properties for the file (see under File in Word), by clicking on the following, beginning with File on the main menu of the Microsoft application:
2. Save As
3. Tools (or Options with a Mac)
5. Remove personal information from file properties on save
Engaged Scholar Journal thanks the developers of the above guidelines.
Your submission should include both the anonymized and full manuscript. The full manuscript should be submitted with the cover page containing the manuscript title, authors' names and affiliations, short bios (no more than 50 words per person), and four names of potential peer reviewers who are not in a conflict of interest with any of the authors. The names of suggested peer reviewers will be added to the Journal's peer reviewers database. The Journal does not guarantee that it will use any of provided recommendations in reviewing your submission.
The essays section profiles critical discussions and in-depth analyses of community-engaged scholarship. The works published in this section may focus on specific projects or examine broad theoretical considerations defining community-engaged scholarship
Reports from the FieldThe "Reports from the Field" section includes journal contributions that may focus on specific ongoing and completed projects. Submissions into this section do not normally offer critical analysis of a broad theoretical issue nor they provide in-depth theoretical arguments.
The book review section profiles reviews that offer critical overview of monographs, essay collections, manuals, workbooks and other self-standing published works relevant to the field of community-engaged scholarship
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License ( CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter separate, additional contractual agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted to post their work online (e.g., in an institutional repository or on their website) after the publication of their work in the Engaged Scholar Journal.
- Please note that while every opportunity will be taken to ensure author participation in the editing process, due to time constraints final copyediting changes may be made before publication to ensure APA adherence throughout all submissions.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.